Learning Index >> Hand-blockprinted Textiles: Phyllis Barron and Dorothy Larcher

<< PrevNext >>


  Core Record

  Larger Image
John Paul Cooper

Muriel Rose and Peggy Turnbull first met through The Three Shields Gallery which opened at 8 Holland Street, just off Kensington High Street in 1922. This gallery had been set up by Dorothy Hutton, a former student at the Central School of Art and already an established calligrapher. (No. 1) In addition to stocking prints, drawings, watercolours and some tempera paintings, she mounted short temporary displays lasting about three weeks of ceramics, textiles and silverware. Several exhibitions of Barron and Larcher's hand-blockprinted textiles were shown there during the early 1920s, and the gallery continued to feature in their order book as late as 1942. (No. 2)

Since Dorothy Hutton wanted to continue with her calligraphy and did not want to be tied to working on the premises constantly, she employed two young women to help her. Muriel Rose was appointed as a full-time general assistant, whilst Peggy Turnbull worked a couple of days a week doing the accounts. Subsequently the two women decided to go into partnership, with some 1,000 between them, and set up The Little Gallery together. Happily, the parting with Dorothy Hutton was not acrimonious and she presented Muriel Rose with a fondly inscribed box made by John Paul Cooper as a leaving gift. (No. 3, 4)

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7



about        contact        terms of use        image credits        © 2016