|Title||Bergamo, studies of Sant’Agostino|
|Other Images||Modern Photo|
|Collection||Charles Rennie Mackintosh´s Northern Italian Sketchbook: Glasgow School of Art|
|Artist||Mackintosh, Charles Rennie|
The monastery of Sant'Agostino was a barracks in the 1890s. Mackintosh drew the west front of its gothic church.
Mackintosh's drawing of the untraced cartouche (bottom right) is interestingly captioned ‘Italian'. This may be a comment on the employment of similar Italian-derived motifs on many Glasgow buildings in the late nineteenth century. Mackintosh himself would use a version of this form on the door heads of the Glasgow Art Club (1892-3) and the Tower of the Glasgow Herald Building (1893-4).
|Inscription||Inscribed QUARTIERI S. AGOSTINO/BERGAMO’ and other notes in pencil|
|Subject||Bergamo; churches; Gothic (medieval); exterior elevations; cartouches (ornament); facades; Churches (exteriors)|
|Rights||Glasgow School of Art|