|Title||Milan, San Lorenzo, studies of plan and section and other details|
|Other Images||Modern Photos|
|Collection||Charles Rennie Mackintosh´s Northern Italian Sketchbook: Glasgow School of Art|
|Artist||Mackintosh, Charles Rennie|
|Date||1st July 1891|
San Lorenzo Maggiore, Corso di Porta Ticinese, is a largely brick church founded in the fourth century, rebuilt in 1103, and again in 1574-88 by Martino Bassi (1541-1591) on the original octagonal plan. Bassi was responsible for the impressive stone interior and the dome set on a high drum.
On page 63b of the sketchbook Mackintosh remarked on San Lorenzo's ‘interesting plan' which comprises four angle towers, with an ambulatory of semi-circular apses enclosing a central octagonal space.
In his drawing Mackintosh has depicted: plan (top); unidentified moulding (top right); elevation of section of interior (bottom left); detail of spandrel of arch in corner of gallery (bottom centre); lower part of cornice above gallery? (bottom right).
|Inscription||Inscribed ‘S. LORENZO/MILAN’, with other notes in pencil|
|Subject||Milan; plans (drawings); churches; Romanesque; interior; spandrels (wall components); Mannerist (Renaissance-Baroque style); Churches (interiors)|
|Rights||Glasgow School of Art|