<< Search Results
Bookmark and Share

 
 
 
  
Mackintosh, Charles Rennie, Milan, Sant’ Eustorgio, studies of interior bay


Core Record

Title Milan, Sant’ Eustorgio, studies of interior bay
Other Images Modern Photo
Collection Charles Rennie Mackintosh´s Northern Italian Sketchbook: Glasgow School of Art
Artist Mackintosh, Charles Rennie
Description Built mainly of brick, the basilica of Sant' Eustorgio, Corso di Porta Ticinese, was consecrated in 515 by bishop Eustorgio II. After being destroyed in 1164, the nave was rebuilt in the gothic style in the twelfth and thirteenth centuries with later additions in the fifteenth and sixteenth. The façade was rebuilt in the nineteenth century. The ornamentation in the spandrels of this interior bay, and in the frieze above the arches, which Mackintosh noted with such care, has since been removed. The drawing shows: plan of vaulting (top left); elevation of bay (centre); detail of frieze above arch (top right); impost (top centre left); unidentified moulding (bottom centre left); plan of nave pier (bottom left); detail of ornamentation in spandrel (bottom right).
Page Number 53
Inscription Inscribed ‘S. EUSTORGIO/MILAN’ and other notes in pencil
Location Milan
Subject Milan; Gothic (medieval); churches; spandrels (wall components); interior; bays (building divisions); friezes (ornamental areas); imposts; piers (supporting elements); naves; arches; Churches (interiors); ornament
Measurements 230x160mm.
Rights Glasgow School of Art
 

 

 

about        contact        terms of use        image credits        © 2019