<< Search Results
Bookmark and Share

 
 

 
Mackintosh, Charles Rennie, Como, Cathedral, studies of window and two finials

 


Core Record

Title Como, Cathedral, studies of window and two finials
Other Images Modern Photos
Collection Charles Rennie Mackintosh´s Northern Italian Sketchbook: Glasgow School of Art
Artist Mackintosh, Charles Rennie
Description

The Cathedral of Santa Maria Maggiore was begun in the Gothic style in 1396 but remodelled by the Lombard Renaissance architects Tomaso Rodari of Maroggia (fl. 1487-1526) and Cristoforo Solari (1460-1527) from 1486.

The finials and window on this page are from the latter period. The previous Alexander Thomson scholarship holder, William James Anderson admired the ‘fanciful pinnacles'; remarking on how the ‘massive solidity and simplicity of the lower part of the building' was opposed to ‘the delicate richness of the sky-line'.

He suggested that the windows of the south aisle might have been designed by Donato Bramante (1444-1514) (William James Anderson, ‘The Architecture of the Renaissance in Italy', 3rd ed. (London: Batsford, 1901) pp. 53-4).

The drawing shows: a finial from the north aisle (left); a south aisle window (top right); the northernmost finial of the west front (bottom right).

Page Number 57
Inscription Inscribed ‘COMO/CATHEDRAL’, pencil
Location Como
Subject Como; cathedrals; churches; Gothic (medieval); windows; finials; exterior elevations; early Renaissance; Churches (exteriors)
Measurements 230x160mm.
Rights Glasgow School of Art
 

 

 

about        contact        terms of use        image credits        © 2019