|Title||Como, Cathedral, studies of window and two finials|
|Other Images||Modern Photos|
|Collection||Charles Rennie Mackintosh´s Northern Italian Sketchbook: Glasgow School of Art|
|Artist||Mackintosh, Charles Rennie|
The Cathedral of Santa Maria Maggiore was begun in the Gothic style in 1396 but remodelled by the Lombard Renaissance architects Tomaso Rodari of Maroggia (fl. 1487-1526) and Cristoforo Solari (1460-1527) from 1486.
The finials and window on this page are from the latter period. The previous Alexander Thomson scholarship holder, William James Anderson admired the ‘fanciful pinnacles'; remarking on how the ‘massive solidity and simplicity of the lower part of the building' was opposed to ‘the delicate richness of the sky-line'.
He suggested that the windows of the south aisle might have been designed by Donato Bramante (1444-1514) (William James Anderson, ‘The Architecture of the Renaissance in Italy', 3rd ed. (London: Batsford, 1901) pp. 53-4).
The drawing shows: a finial from the north aisle (left); a south aisle window (top right); the northernmost finial of the west front (bottom right).
|Inscription||Inscribed ‘COMO/CATHEDRAL’, pencil|
|Subject||Como; cathedrals; churches; Gothic (medieval); windows; finials; exterior elevations; early Renaissance; Churches (exteriors)|
|Rights||Glasgow School of Art|