|Title||Certosa di Pavia, study of interior of dome|
|Other Images||Modern Photo|
|Collection||Charles Rennie Mackintosh´s Northern Italian Sketchbook: Glasgow School of Art|
|Artist||Mackintosh, Charles Rennie|
The Certosa di Pavia was commenced under the patronage of Gian Galeazzo Visconti, Duke of Milan, in 1396. It was begun in the Gothic style by the master mason Bernardo da Venezia and Giacomo da Campione who were succeeded in 1450 by Giovanni Solari (c.1400-1484) and his son Guiniforte (1429-1481). They completed the work in 1472.
Mackintosh stayed at the Albergo Milano adjacent to the Certosa in mid-July at the end of his Italian tour (Robertson, p. 231), making eighteen known pages of drawings of decorative details of the monastery. This perspective drawing of a section of the interior of the dome is his only purely architectural sketch.
|Inscription||Inscribed ‘DOME/PAVIA’, pencil|
|Location||Certosa di Pavia|
|Subject||Pavia; interior; Gothic (medieval); churches; domes (dome components); Churches (interiors)|
|Rights||Glasgow School of Art|