<< Search Results
Bookmark and Share

 
 

 
Mackintosh, Charles Rennie, Milan, studies of Ospedale Maggiore


Core Record

Title Milan, studies of Ospedale Maggiore
Other Images Modern Photos
Collection Charles Rennie Mackintosh´s Northern Italian Sketchbook: Glasgow School of Art
Artist Mackintosh, Charles Rennie
Description The Ospedale Maggiore or Ca'Granda, Via Festa del Perdono, was founded by Francesco Sforza, Duke of Milan in 1456. The Florentine architect Antonio Averulino Filarete (c.1400-1469) was responsible for its plan of two matching wings, one for men, the other for women, each with four courtyards either side of a central space. From 1465, following Filarete's plan, the northern wing was completed in a Gothic style by Guiniforte Solari (1429-1481) and Giovanni Antonio Amadeo (c.1447-1522). The central court and southern wing were added respectively in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. Since 1958 the building has been part of the University of Milan. In his drawing Mackintosh has concentrated on the street frontage of the north wing which he described as ‘a very good brick & Terracotta building' (‘Diary', 28 June 1891): elevation of a bay (top left); window jamb from lower storey (top centre); cornice (top right); frieze (bottom centre); street façade of whole building (bottom right).
Page Number 70
Inscription Inscribed ‘OSPEDALE/ MAGGIORE/MILAN’ and other notes in pencil
Location Milan
Subject Milan; exterior elevations; hospitals; Gothic (medieval); windows; friezes; architectural terracotta; cornices; Renaissance; Public buildings
Measurements 230x160mm.
Rights Glasgow School of Art
 

 

 

about        contact        terms of use        image credits        © 2019