|Title||Milan, Sant’Eustorgio, Capella Portinari, perspective study of Shrine of Saint Peter Martyr by Giovanni di Balduccio of Pisa (1336-1339)|
|Other Images||Modern Photo|
|Collection||Charles Rennie Mackintosh´s Northern Italian Sketchbook: Glasgow School of Art|
|Artist||Mackintosh, Charles Rennie|
The marble gothic shrine to the Dominican Saint Peter Martyr (1205-1252) was executed by Giovanni di Balduccio of Pisa between 1336 and 1339. It consists of a sarcophagus supported on pilasters, in front of which are statues representing the Virtues. It was transferred to the Portinari Chapel in 1774 from the nave of the basilica.
Mackintosh's rapid sketch gives a general impression of the monument.
|Inscription||Inscribed ‘MONUMENT/S. EUSTORGIO/MILAN’, pencil|
|Subject||Milan; churches; Gothic (medieval); sarcophagi (coffins); sarcophagus; tombs; interior; marble (rock); Churches (interiors); monuments & tombs|
|Rights||Glasgow School of Art|