|Title||Village Landscape at Dusk|
|Alternative Title||Village Landscape at Dusk by Moonlight; Twilight; Landscape|
|Collection||Cannon Hall Museum, Park and Gardens, Barnsley|
|Artist||Neer, Aert van der (Dutch painter, 1603-1677)|
|Date Earliest||probably 1630|
|Date Latest||probably 1655|
|Description||Aert van der Neer was one of the most prolific Dutch landscapists. Born around 1603-4 in Amsterdam, he spent his youth in Gorinchem, moving back to Amsterdam in about 1630. From 1658 he kept a wine shop but was not successful and was declared bankrupt in December 1662. It is after this time that he is likely to have turned to painting full time. Most of van der Neer's works are either winter or night scenes, therefore, this painting, which is set at dusk and believed to be an early work, is far more unusual than the other works in the collection by him. The composition of the picture is also different and shows a low viewpoint which gives a sense that the trees are dominating the work. The yellowish light is far more characteristic of the works of the Dutch Italianate painters. In this painting his preferred source of natural light, the moon, is merely indicated, being present only in its radiance in the sky and the reflection in the very small patch of water just at the side of the building.|
|Current Accession Number||A1939|
|Inscription||front lr 'AV DN'|
|Subject||figure; townscape; landscape; everyday life; buildings and gardens|
|Measurements||32.7 x 25.3 cm cm (estimate)|
|Material||oil on panel|
|Acquisition Details||Given by the National Art-Collections Fund 2002.|
|Provenance||J. M. de Neufville-Gontard, Frankfort-on-Maine in 1794 (;); J. E. Fiseau sale, Amsterdam, 30 August 1797, lot 152, bought by Labouchère, 93 florins; Right Hon. Henry Labouchère, Lord Taunton of Stowe, 1797; bought from Thomas R. Rutley by William Harvey of Barnsley, 13 March 1850, as Landscape by V. Neer, £60; by descent to William Harvey of Leeds (1879-1917); given by William Harvey to National Loan Collection Trust, 19 June 1917; transferred to National Art-Collections Fund, 20 May 2002.|
|Principal Exhibitions||The Loan Collection of Works by 'Old Masters', and by deceased artists of the English and Foreign Schools, Municipal Art Gallery, Leeds, 1889-90, cat. no. 404, as Moonlight; Dutch 17th century Paintings from Yorkshire Public Collections, Leeds City Art Gallery, 1982-83, cat. no. 28; Dutch Painting in the Seventeenth Century: Images of a Golden Age in British Collections, Birmingham City Museums and Art Gallery, 1989-90, cat. no. 123; The Cabinet Picture: Dutch and Flemish Masters of the Seventeenth Century, Richard Green, London, 1999.|
|Publications||Catalogue of Pictures in the National Loan Collection Trust, London, 1919, 1920, 1928, 1930, 1937, cat. no. 34, ill. pp. 74-75, as Twilight; Hofstede de Groot, Dr C., Catalogue raisonné of the Works of the most eminent Dutch painters of the Seventeenth Century, vol. 7, 1923, cat. no. 335, p. 403; Catalogue of Pictures in the National Loan Collection Trust, London, 1954, cat. no. 34, p. 11; Stechow, W., Dutch Landscape Painting of the 17th Century, London, 1968, p. 220; The William Harvey Collection of Dutch and Flemish Paintings, Cannon Hall Museum, 1975, cat. no. 30; Bachmann, F., Aert van der Neer: 1603/4-1677, Bremen, 1982, pp. 40-1, ill. Abb 20; Wright, C., Dutch Painting in the Seventeenth Century: Images of a Golden Age in British Collections, London, 1989, pp. 224, 274; Schulz, W., Aert van der Neer, Netherlands, 2002, cat. no. 270, p. 199, as Village Landscape at Dusk by Moonlight; Dutch 17th century Paintings from Yorkshire Public Collections, Leeds, 1982, cat. no. 28, p. 105, ill. p. 60; Wright, C., Dutch Painting in the Seventeenth Century: Images of a Golden Age in British Collections, London, 1989, cat. no. 123, ill. p.141; Green, R., The Cabinet Picture: Dutch and Flemish Masters of the Seventeenth Century, London, 1999, ill. p. 62.|
Previously entitled Twilight, this work is a pendant to Hofstede de Groot 34, Landscape with a Clump of Tall Trees, Städelsche Kunstinstitut, Frankfurt, No 258a in 1900 catalogue.
This painting is part of a collection formed by William Harvey of Barnsley (1811-1867). Harvey was a Quaker whose family made its money in the linen industry. Most of the paintings were acquired between 1849 and 1866 through the dealer Thomas R. Rutley and his son Colonel J. L. Rutley. The company later traded as Messrs Rutley. The collection consists mainly of Dutch and Flemish seventeenth-century paintings. On his death, the collection passed to Harvey's brother, Henry Harvey, J.P. (1814-1879). Nothing was added to the collection during this period and it was passed by descent to a nephew, William Harvey of Leeds. William Harvey of Leeds donated his collection to the National Loan Collection Trust in 1917. The purpose of the Trust was to lend pictures to regional galleries in England and the British Colonies. It was finally agreed to lend the collection on long term loan to Cannon Hall in Barnsley and in 2002 the collection was transferred to them on a permanent basis.
An invoice for a work by A Van der Neer for £40 plus 10% dated 25 May 1861 survives at the NACF. According to Hofstede de Groot, this entered the collection of J.M. de Neufville-Gontard, Frankfort-on-Maine in 1794. There was no additional provenance information in the catalogue raisonné on this artist by Schulz, 2002. The painting was purchased in 1797 by Labouchère, who may be Right Hon Henry Labouchère, Lord Taunton of Stowe, but the work does not appear in a sale of works from the collection held 29 May 1849.
|Rights Owner||Cannon Hall Museum (Barnsley Metropolitan Council)|
|Author||Dr Madeleine Korn|