<< Search Results
Bookmark and Share

 

Core Record

Title Audley End from the West
Collection English Heritage (Audley End)
Artist Attributed to Flemish School
Attributed to Cort, Hendrik Frans de (Flemish painter, 1742-1810)
Date Earliest probably about 1790
Date Latest probably about 1810
Description The author of this painting remains uncertain, it may be the View of the River referred to in W. Jessop's bill of 30 April 1795 for which Sir John Griffin Griffin paid £21, however this seems uncertain both because the title of this painting and that under discussion do not correspond and secondly because the principal subject of the painting under discussion is Audley End house, not the narrow band of river seen in the foreground of this picture. The painting is executed on a mahogany panel, a support commonly used by the Flemish artist Hendrik Frans de Cort (1742-1810) who after 1790 established a successful practice painting landscapes, country houses, castles and cathedrals for wealthy patrons. This painting may be by his hand. It is notable that de Cort worked at Charlton Park for the Earl of Suffolk a cousin of Lord Howard de Walden. The painting shows the principal, west, façade of Audley End surrounded by its landscaped gardens, in the right distance is the Temple of Concord designed by Robert Adam and to the left is the town of Saffron Walden. Audley End was begun in 1616 by Thomas Howard, 1st Earl of Suffolk, its architecture is attributed to Bernard Jannsen who is also attributed with the building of Charlton Park commissioned by Thomas Howard's wife Catherine Knevet, Countess of Suffolk.
Current Accession Number 81030135
Subject landscape (Audley End)
Measurements 58 x 74 cm (estimate)
Material oil on panel (hardwood {mahogany})
Acquisition Details Purchased by the Department of the Environment 1971.
Provenance Possibly commissioned by Sir John Griffin Griffin, 1st Lord Braybrooke 1795 (if it corresponds to A view of the River referred to in W. Jessop's bill for £21 of 30 April 1795) then by descent; recorded in the Red Dressing Room in the List of Heirlooms, 1946.
Publications Walker, R. J. B., Catalogue of Pictures, 1973, p. 44.
Rights Owner © English Heritage Photo Library
Author Francesco Nevola
 

 

 

about        contact        terms of use        image credits        © 2020