|Title||A Calm on the Kel near Dordrecht|
|Alternative Title||A Calm on the Kel in the Environs of Dordrecht|
|Original Translation||Le Coup de Canon: Calme sur le Kel, environs à Dordrecht|
|Collection||New Walk Museum and Art Gallery, Leicester|
|Artist||Clays, Paul Jean (Belgian painter, 1819-1900)|
This painting depicts a scene on the River Kel near Dordrecht in Holland. Some of the boats which regularly plied the waters are shown, including sailing wherries in the foreground and a passenger paddle steamer in the distance.
Paul Jean Clays was a Belgian artist who studied in Paris and later settled in Brussels where he became an official naval artist. Seascapes and river scenes form the bulk of Clays's oeuvre. This painting was produced in the middle years of his career. The inscription on the back in the artist's own hand records that it was painted in Brussels.
|Current Accession Number||L.F3.1891.0.0|
|Former Accession Number||3 A 1891|
|Inscription||front lr 'P J Clays 1870'; back (on label) 'Je soussigne declare avoir peint le tableau ci-centre - il represente un calme dans le Kel, aux environs de Dordrecht (Hollande). Bruxelles 1870. P. J.Clays'|
|Subject||marine; trade and industry; place (River Kel, near Dordrecht)|
|Measurements||76.0 x 110 cm.0 cm (estimate)|
|Material||oil on canvas|
|Acquisition Details||Purchased at Christie's 1891, £152 5s.|
|Publications||Permanent Art Gallery Catalogue, Leicester, 1899, cat. no. 77, as A Calm on the Kel in the Environs of Dordrecht; Leicester Museum and Art Gallery: Collection of Paintings, Leicester, 1958, cat. no. 196; Bénézit, E., Dictionnaire Critique et Documentaire des Peintres, Sculpteurs, Dessinateurs et Graveurs de tous les temps et de tous les Pays, Paris, 1976, vol. 3, p. 58, as Le Coup de Canon - Calme sur le Kel, environs à Dordrecht.|
This was one of the first Continental works to enter the New Walk collection.
The painting is mentioned in Conversazioni on the Occasion of the Opening of the Museum and Art Gallery Extension Buildings, 19 and 20 May, 1892, p. 42.
|Rights Owner||Leicester City Museums Service|
|Author||Dr Angela Smith|