<< Search Results
Bookmark and Share

 
 Rysbrack, Pieter Andreas (Flemish painter, ca. 1684-1748) , A View of Richmond Ferry from the Town Wharf

Core Record

Title A View of Richmond Ferry from the Town Wharf
Collection Orleans House Gallery, London
Artist Rysbrack, Pieter Andreas (Flemish painter, ca. 1684-1748)
Date Earliest probably about 1740
Date Latest probably about 1740
Signed yes
Description The painting depicts the view from the Town Wharf next to the White Cross Inn. Other buildings of note in the town on the left side of the painting are Collin's Brewery, the riverside gardens of Dr Caleb Cotesworth, and Herring (later Heron) House. In the distance is Richmond Hill, while in the river in the foreground is the ferry, which was the only means of crossing the river until Richmond Bridge was built in 1777.
Current Accession Number LDORL:00754
Inscription front ll 'Pieter Rysbrack'
Subject landscape (Richmond Ferry)
Measurements 89 x 117 cm (estimate)
Material oil on canvas
Acquisition Details Purchased from Leger Galleries 1982.
Provenance Sometime in the collection of Colonel Grant; possibly Peter Mitchell, 1978; sale, Sotheby Parke-Bernet, New York, 30 May, 1979; Leger Galleries, 1982.
Principal Exhibitions Richmond and Twickenham Riverside Exhibition, 1967, cat. no. 5; Ionides display, Marble Hill House, 1976.
Publications Grant, The Old English Landscape Painters, 1925, vol. II, no. 74.
Notes In the Witt Library there are clippings of this painting, one from the Sotheby Parke-Bernet sale, New York, 30 May 1979; and one inscribed 'Gift of Peter Mitchell, 1978'. (NB The painting is currently on extended loan to Richmond Reference Library.)
Rights Owner Orleans House Gallery/London Borough of Richmond Upon Thames
Author Malcolm Barclay
 

 

 

about        contact        terms of use        image credits        © 2018