<< Search Results
Bookmark and Share

 

Core Record

Title Campo Vaccino
Collection Victoria Art Gallery, Bath
Artist Bie, Erasme de (Flemish painter, born 1629, active 1646-1670)
Date 1643 (dated)
Signed yes
Description This bustling scene of everyday life is set in the Roman Forum, or Campo Vaccino as it was known. Many figures, livestock, working mules and horses and dogs occupy the foreground. At the centre of the composition is a fountain from which a horse drinks. The ancient Roman ruins are interspersed with cottages and other more recent constructions.
Current Accession Number BATVG:P:1900.22
Former Accession Number A21
Inscription front ll ‘ED · BIE - 1643’
Subject townscape; place (Rome); figure; animal (cattle, dog, horse, mule); buildings and gardens; trade and industry
Measurements 122.3 x 202.8 cm cm (estimate)
Material oil on canvas
Acquisition Details Given by the executors of Mons. James Shepherd, before 1900.
Provenance Collection of Conolly family, Midford Castle, by 1871; bequeathed by Mrs Jane Conolly to Mons. Charles Parfitt, Prior Park, Bath, 1871; bequeathed (;) by Mons. Charles Parfitt to Mons. James Shepherd, Prior Park, Bath, 1886.
Publications Wright, C., Old Master Paintings in Britain: An Index of Continental Old Master Paintings executed before c.1800 in Public Collections in the United Kingdom, London, 1976 , p. 17 (as Adriaen de Bie); Sloman, S., Victoria Art Gallery: Concise Catalogue of Paintings and Drawings, Bath, 1991, p. 10 (as Adriaen E. Bie); J. De Maere and M. Wabbes, Illustrated Dictionary of Flemish Painters, Brussels, 1994, p. 52 (as Adriaen de Bie).
Notes Mons. James Shepherd was a master at the Catholic college of Prior Park, Bath, and author of Reminiscences of Prior Park (London, 1894). The Victoria Art Gallery's collection of works from Midford Castle near Bath was bequeathed or given to Shepherd by another master at the college, Mons Charles Parfitt. The Midford Castle estate had been bequeathed to Parfitt by Mrs Jane Conolly, a bequest which was unsuccessfully contested by Mrs Conolly's nephew in 1871-72. It is uncertain if the collection was originally accumulated by Mrs Conolly's late husband, the eminent barrister Charles Conolly, or whether, as is traditionally supposed, it came into the family by the marriage of his son to the Italian Marchesa Luisa di Sant' Agata.
Rights Owner Victoria Art Gallery, Bath
Author Dr Susan Steer
 

 

 

about        contact        terms of use        image credits        © 2018