<< Search Results
Bookmark and Share

 

Core Record

Title The Vision: Dante and Beatrice
Collection Wolverhampton Art Gallery
Artist Scheffer, Ary (Dutch painter, printmaker, and sculptor, 1795-1858, active in France)
Date 1846 (dated)
Signed yes
Description Arch-shaped canvas. Beatrice has light brown hair and stands in three-quarter profile, one knee bent, on a cloud wearing a pink robe and green cape. White drapery, possibly a hood, can be glimpsed behind her back. She wears a crown of laurel leaves. Beatrice's right hand is raised to her chest and her eyes look upwards. The figure of Dante is situated on a lower level. He is shown in three-quarter length. He wears a red tunic and hood and looks up towards Beatrice. He holds his left hand to his chest and raises his right hand. Background is sky blue.
Current Accession Number OP249
Inscription front lr 'Ary Scheffer 1846'. On frame: ur 'Par c.l. 9 6'4/r ' Le tuci fisse di lassu remote/Net suo aspetto tal dentro mi fei/l: Beatrice tutta nell eterne ruote/Fissa con gli occhi stava, ed io in lei'
Subject literature (Dante)
Measurements 200.5 x 109.5 cm cm (estimate)
Material oil on canvas
Acquisition Details Given by Mr F. H. Reeves 1938.
Provenance S. van Walchren van Wadenoyen de Nimmerdor sale, Hotel Drouot, Paris, 24 - 25 April 1876 as Dante et Beatrice - Tableau Capital; Agnew's, Manchester (;).
Principal Exhibitions Art Treasures Manchester, 1857, cat. no. 663 (possibly the Boston version).
Publications Grote, H., Memoir of the Life of Ary Scheffer, London, 1860, p. 65; Kolb, M., Ary Scheffer et son Temps, Paris, 1937, p. 476; Vitet, L., Oeuvre de Ary Scheffer, 1860.
Notes On the back, 'Thos. Agnew and Sons, Manchester , 14 Exchange Street'. Some confusion exists between this work and the version in the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston. The Boston version is smaller measuring 173 x 95 cms. This version is recorded as having been owned by Richard Hemmings and lent by him to Manchester Art Treasures exhibition in 1857 (no. 663) and sold at his sale (Christie's 28 April 1894, lot 76) to Agnew's for 483. However, the Wolverhampton version is also recorded as having belonged to this Hemmings (Kolb, p. 476). A photograph of the Wolverhampton version (Witt Library) also links it to Hemmings and the Manchester Exhibition and cites the photograph as published in 1857 by Colnaghi and Agnew's for the proprieters. The Wolverhampton version certainly passed through Agnew's at some point as it has their stamp on the back. The donor, F. H. Reeves, resided at Bearnett House near Wolverhampton. His extensive art collection was sold at auction after his death on 15 July 1953.
Rights Owner Courtesy of Wolverhampton Art Gallery
Author Dr Patricia Smyth
 

 

 

about        contact        terms of use        image credits        © 2018