<< Search Results
Bookmark and Share

 

Core Record

Title Alleluia Monument
Collection Public Monuments and Sculpture Association
Date Completion 1736
Description Taken from CADW report: 'Stone obelisk on a square stone plinth supported by repaired rubble base. The N side of the base of the obelisk has an inscription in Latin. The remains of iron cramps are set in the faces of the upper part of the obelisk.'
Additional Information The monument was erected to commemorate victory of the Christian Celts led by Bishop Germanus over Picts and Saxons in 429 AD. The name derives from the story that the Christian forces shouted 'Alleluia' three times before the battle and this, amplified by the surrounding hills, was sufficient to cause the larger heathen forces to panic.
Id Number Current Accession FLINT012
Id Number Current Repository AHFLINT01212
Inscription Incised on north side of obelisk (NB: inscription worn in places): AD ANNUM / CCCCXX / Saxones Picriq Bellum adverfus / Britones juildis viribus susciperunt / In Hac Regione Hodieq MAES GARMON / appellata cum in Praedium defcenditur / Apostolicis Britonum Ducibus GERMINO / et LUPO CHRISTUS militabat in Castris / ALLELUIA tertio repetrium exclamabant / Hostile Agmen Terrore prosternitur / Triumphant / Ho ibus Fu s sinc Sanguine / Palma Fide non Viribus obtenta / M P / in VICTORUE ALLELUIATICAE memoria / N G / MDCCXXXVI
Location Rhual, Flintshire
Measurements Dimensions Whole work(488cm high approx)
Material Stone
Notes The monument was erected in 1736 by Nehemiah Griffith of Rhual, a member of the local gentry who was influenced by the contemporary fashion for antiquarianism and Celtic Romanticism.
Rights Owner Public Monuments and Sculpture Association
Source AH
Work Type Obelisk
 

 

 

about        contact        terms of use        image credits        © 2020