<< Search Results
Bookmark and Share

 
 
 
  
Green, T N, Destroying the tithe barn at Peterborough


Core Record

Title Destroying the tithe barn at Peterborough
Collection The Sir Henry Dryden Collection
Title Variant Now in the wreckers hands
Author/Creator Dryden, Henry E L
Editor/Other Contributor Green, T N
Date 06/05/1899
Description The barn was formerly a cell of the abbey. The article is one of a series. It makes the point that the Ecclesiastical Commissioners were instrumental in selling off the barns in full knowledge that they would be demolished, their reason was to pay for the Peterborough Cathedral West front re-building. It should be noted that the antiquarian lobby opposed the expensive re-building at the cathedral and proposed a cheaper option that would have also retained the authenticity of the stonework.
Id Number Current Accession DR/25/213/214
Location Peterborough
Location Current Repository Northamptonshire Central Library
Subject Church architecture, Religious buildings, Abbeys, Priories, Structural elements (buildings), Monastic buildings, Hospital Buildings (Medieval), Monasticism, Barns, Tithe Barns, 14th century, 14c, 14th century, Fourteenth century, Tithes, Conservation
Object Notes Two glossy sheets folded together to 20cm x 12cm
Negative Reference MF R23 F272
Periodical Country Life
Rights Northamptonshire Libraries and Information Service
Work Type Periodical
 

 

 

about        contact        terms of use        image credits        © 2019