View all images from the Sir Henry Dryden Collection
The Sir Henry Dryden Collection has been digitised as part of the X4L RAPID* project.
The X4L/RAPID project was funded by the Joint Information Systems Committee (JISC), as part of their Exchange for Learning (X4L) programme. The consortium comprised of Tresham Institute of Kettering, University College Northampton and the Northamptonshire Libraries and Information Service. The project was awarded funding from June 2002 and completed in July 2005.
The Dryden Collection was digitised in collaboration with Northamptonshire Libraries and includes architectural drawings of local significance.
*(Re - purposing Art media and Performance Information for Digitisation)
The Sir Henry Dryden collection is located in Northamptonshire Central Library. It includes thousands of Dryden's drawings, plans, and notes that were presented to the town of Northampton after his death in 1899, by his only daughter, Miss Alice Dryden. Dryden's work includes studies of buildings and historic sites and monuments throughout Britain and Europe, occasionally providing the only record of structures that have not survived. Sir Henry Edward Leigh Dryden, Bart., was the eldest son of the Rev. Sir Henry Dryden of Canons Ashby. Born in 1818, he was later sent to Shrewsbury School under the celebrated Headmaster, Dr Samuel Butler. On the death of his father in 1837, he became the owner of Canons Ashby. Dryden was an enthusiastic archaeologist and antiquary. He is particularly remembered for his skill and accuracy in producing thousands of architectural and archaeological drawings. Although Dryden travelled throughout Britain and Europe making notes and drawings, he still retained an interest in local matters.
The material in this collection is the copyright of the Northamptonshire Libraries and Information Service and the X4L/RAPID project. It is made available here for educational use and private study only.
St. Mary's Road
|Tel:||+44 1536 413055|
|Fax:||+44 1536 522500|