The University for the Creative Arts has campuses at Canterbury, Epsom, Farnham, Maidstone and Rochester and is home to 6,500 students from over 70 countries studying on courses in fashion, graphics, design, media, fine art and architecture.
Director of VADS
Based in Farnham
Be a Leader in Digital Knowledge Management for the Arts
Establish a National Data Service as an International Research Centre
0.5fte – £24,548 to £26,825 pa, pro rata (£49,096 – £53,259 fte)
with flexible working hours, for 12 months in the first instance (Ref: LLS MGT 8-162)
The Visual Arts Data Service (VADS), the national digital media services provider for the visual and creative arts, seeks an ambitious, energetic individual to direct its continuing provision of world-class services to education. The new Director will re-launch VADS as an exciting new centre for research and development in digital knowledge management at the UK’s first University for the Creative Arts.
As VADS new Director, you will be primarily responsible for:
- spearheading the development of VADS as a research centre with a national and international profile
- growing VADS’ reputation as a leading data services provider to arts organisations within the UK and abroad
- achieving growth targets to secure VADS future as a self-funding operation
- managing and developing a dedicated staff to action the business planning and strategic marketing required to deliver VADS’ new mission and vision
Ideal candidates will have:
- proven strategic communication skills and high-level negotiating capabilities
- recognised national research credentials in an appropriate field and a strong affinity with the creative arts
- the capability to deliver creative and innovative strategic vision
- a successful record of human resource and service leadership, management and development
- proven ability to attract funding and achieve financial targets
- experience of research grant and project management
- knowledge and understanding of digital media and knowledge management
VADS is in its twelfth successful year of operation. Its new mission is to support the provision of quality digital information in the arts by promoting international standards in the creation, archiving, dissemination and use of digital images.
For more information about VADS, please see vads.ac.uk or to discuss the post, please contact Rosemary Lynch, Head of Library and Learning Services, email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01252 892704.
An application form and further details are available to download from the University’s Current Vacancies page. Alternatively contact the Human Resources Department on 01252 892681 (24 hours) or email HR@ucreative.ac.uk (quoting the above reference).
The closing date for receipt of applications: 9 December 2008
Interviews will be held on: 17 December 2008
We value diversity of our organisation and welcome applicants from all sections of the community.