Learning Index >> Pioneers and their practice: a reference guide

Textiles >> Phyllis Barron (1890-1964) and Dorothy Larcher (1882-1952)
<< PrevNext >>

 

 
  Core Record

  Larger Image

2003.52.14
 
      
 
      
 
      
 
      
 
      
 
      
 
      
 
  

Both Barron and Larcher were born in London and attended art school; Barron studied at the Slade School of Fine Art and Larcher at Hornsey School of Art. They became interested in textile printing independently, Barron in France when a student (she experimented in her studio from c.1915) and Larcher in India where she saw blockprinters at work. On her return, she joined Barron in her workshop in 1923. By then at Parkhill Studios, Hampstead, they worked together until 1930, cutting blocks from wood or lino and printing on cottons, linens, velvets and silks for furnishing and dress. They made positive prints with natural dyes and also used the discharge (bleach) method; after 1930 they introduced synthetic dyes to their production. In their designs, Barron tended towards geometrical patterns and Larcher to plant motifs. During their partnership, they worked for exhibition and to commission, receiving prestigious orders from the Duke of Westminster; the architect Detmar Blow; Girton College, Cambridge and the Dean and Chapter of Winchester Cathedral.

In 1930 Barron and Larcher moved to Hambutts House, Painswick, Gloucestershire, where they converted outbuildings into a workshop and dyehouse and set up a large indigo vat. Three assistants were regularly employed. They ceased printing in c.1940, due to wartime shortages of materials; Larcher turned to painting flower studies and Barron to local parish affairs.

(All prints are by linoblock unless otherwise stated.)

 

 

about        contact        terms of use        image credits        © 2008