No 24: Tile, 1928 (P.82.15)
Bernard Leach made brush-decorated tiles at intervals, some of which can be seen in situ on the grave of Alfred Wallis, the painter, in St Ives. This square tile is made of fireclay and covered with a white glaze onto which a chequered fritillary has been delicately brushed in cobalt and iron oxides. Although the blue colour is not an accurate match to the fritillary's mauve hue, the plant is instantly recognisable. The tile also bears Leach's monogram, brushed in blue.