|Collection||Bowes Museum, Barnard Castle|
|Artist|| Attributed to Marchesi, Girolamo (Italian painter, born 1471 or 1481, died 1540 or 1550)
Previously attributed to Caroto, Giovanni Francesco (Italian painter, ca.1480-1555)
Previously attributed to Garofalo, Benvenuto Tisi da (Italian painter, 1481-1559)
|Date Earliest||probably about 1495|
|Date Latest||possibly about 1550|
Saint Catherine is represented holding the palm of martyrdom and the spiked wheel on which she was tortured. The mountainous landscape background could refer to Mount Sinai, where her body was carried by angels for burial, according to Jacobus de Voragine's Golden Legend.
This picture has been attributed to a painter from the Northern Italian region of Emilia Romagna, possibly Girolamo Marchesi, who worked in Naples and Rome, and was influenced by Raphael.
|Current Accession Number||B.M.44|
|Former Accession Number||No. 344|
|Subject||religion (St Catherine)|
|Measurements||120 x 68.5 cm (estimate)|
|Material||oil on panel|
|Acquisition Details||Bequeathed by the founders John and Joséphine Bowes 1885.|
|Provenance||A member of the Poniatowski family, Bologna, sale, Christie's, 1841, as by Francia, bought by John Bowes, £3. 13s. 6d.|
|Principal Exhibitions||Loan Exhibition of Pictures from the Bowes Museum, Barnard Castle, Agnews, London, 1952; Hidden Treasures of the Bowes Museum, Bowes Museum, Barnard Castle, 2001 - 2002.|
|Publications||Berenson, B., Italian Painters of the Renaissance, Oxford, 1932; Waterhouse, E., 'Some Old Masters Other than Spanish at the Bowes Museum', The Burlington Magazine, vol. 95, no. 601, 1953, p. 123.|
In the manuscript catalogue of the collection, St Catherine is listed as by Benvenuto Tisi da Garofalo. Roberto Longhi associated this painting with Giovanni Battista Bertucci the Elder (museum records). The painting has also been attributed to Giovanni Francesco Caroto by Bernard Berenson (1932) and Franco Fiorio (1971). In 1962 Philip Pouncey considered it 'rather more Marchesi than Caroto'. In correspondence (1963), Terence Mullaly agreed with E. Waterhouse's attribution to Girolamo Marchesi, although he suggested that the landscape was closer to Marco Palmezzano. In correspondence (1989), Zama Raffaella attributed the painting to Bernardino Zaganelli.
The isolated three-quarter-length figure in a landscape may have been inspired by Raphael's Saint Catherine (London, National Gallery, NG168).
|Rights Owner||The Bowes Museum, Barnard Castle, Co. Durham|
|Author||Dr Mercedes Cerón|